Friday, July 09, 2004

Elections in Vegas?

What do you think would happen in this country if the 2004 election turned out just like 2000? There would most certainly be some kind of major major demonstrations - probably the largest this country has ever seen bar none - if not outright revolution. Think about it - the presidency won by a judicial decision/hijacked twice in a row! Perhaps I'm wrong - I hope I am. But you would certainly see me at the first peaceful protest - hopefully in a location and on a day or two warm enough to justify a tank top and mini!

Most certainly there will be a state contested as was Florida in 2000. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't already Vegas odds on it, taken into account the same sorry state our voting technology, as well as collective attention spans, remain in.

I have to admit at this point, in the spirit of truth and openess, that I do have a bit of an Apocalyse fetish for some reason, and that may be clouding my vision. A background in ancient history with its epic stories of the rise and fall of civilizations, a bit of self-loathing and a desire for a blank slate perhaps, and my aforementioned distaste for authority (which, just by saying so here, according to a minor conspriracy side of myself, might land me on some watchlist), puts me of a general mind towards a taste of chaos.

Nevertheless, I fear/relish the thought that this coming election will be a pivotal historic moment whatever the outcome.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear BG,

Thanks for your comments! I just hope things don't turn out as bloody as you seem to think they will! I just want a leader who isn't a fanatic who believes god has mandated his rule!

Dana

ps: the ancient civilizations/empires I had in mind were historical ones like the Romans, Egyptians, even the Brits.