Thursday, August 12, 2004

consulting idea using my background in library and instructional tech

My professional background is primarily in library science (MLS from the University of Pittsburgh) and in basic information and instructional technology support. I have extensive experience in the design and management of small, web-based help desk processes and documentation, technical writing and editing, library research, etc.

Having said that, is anyone out there looking for any help managing the customer service and correspondence side of a web-based business? I'm looking to move into consulting in this type of thing and I would like to get my feet wet on a couple projects as a almost-free volunteer (i.e., provide a cheap, valuable, money and time-saving service to the right business). What I have in mind is a consulting business that shows small web businesses (especially ones with a transgender connection) how to efficiently and effectively manage and quickly respond to incoming e-mail and other correspondence in a way that is cheap, scalable, non-technical, maintains a high level of professionalism with a personal touch, and promotes brand loyalty.

Have you ever tried contacting Yahoo about something? In my opinion that is the best way NOT to do customer service. Not only is their Help documentation all over the place (non-centralized), superficial and useless, but they also are totally unresponsive to individual user questions and only send out generic, automated responses.

In other words if you have a growing web site that has a growing number of incoming messages and questions that you are having a hard time managing and responding to properly, I may be able to help you! Let me know and maybe I can offer some advice. I'd be especially interested in helping any TG-related/owned businesses out there.

No comments: