Monday, June 25, 2007

genderqueer at the bookstore

After spending all week as well as all day Saturday and Sunday morning packing and moving all my stuff to 3 different locations (storage, our temporary apartment and my parents house) , Jenn and I attended a reading and discussion by Helen Boyd of her second book, She's Not the Man I Married, at Borders. This book, as well as her first, is ostensibly about her relationship with Betty, who is transgendered. From what I gather, in a larger sense, these books are also about relationships and gender roles and probably much more (disclaimer!: this book is near the top of my list to read, but I have not yet had the chance to do so).

The readings were fun but the discussion was the best part. Attendance was around a dozen+ or so people and we got into some good, although brief, discussions about gender roles and trans labels and partner support, among other topics. Betty was also in attendance, and they both had, in my opinion, some very insightful opinions to share, as did several of the attendees. I chimed in a couple of times, although sans the wit and clear articulation of Helen, Betty and some of the others. It's awesome to see so many smart minds working within and positively for the trans community. Props out to my friend Jaye for setting this gig up, especially since we missed the panel discussion the night before (if anyone knows of a transcript of that discussion, please post it here!).

1 comment:

Vickie Davis said...

Aren't they great. (I won't mention again to view my blog where I have collected some good stuff on them.)

I wish they had come to this area, I would love to have them sign my books.

The did a long interview with Ethan St.Pierre on his podcast. Funny stuff.

Vickie