Monday, March 31, 2008

Caloric 2.0

It's funny, but I've started using this web site called Calorielookup, which let's you input the foods (and caloric content) you eat each day and the exercise you do and your weight and generates reports from that data, and ever since I sort of feel like I've been eating a little healthier for some reason.

I mean, this data will never be seen by anyone except me, but it's forced me to think a little more consciously about what I put into my body. Now don't get me wrong, I can still wolf down potato chips and chocolate and pizza like a champ, but my everyday meals and meal sizes, I think, have improved a bit. I also don't drink alcohol much at all anymore - the desire to do so just isn't there much.

I'm basically eating healthier foods and consuming more consciously. It also helps that I have a dietitian and excellent vegetarian cook as a girlfriend. She pointed out that when we plop down in front of the TV every night for dinner we aren't paying attention to our eating and hence often eat more than our body, if we were listening, is telling us we need. So we have started turning off the boob tube for dinner sometimes, which I think is helping. Damn, my girl is a smart cookie...

Having said all that, I weigh only a pound or two less than as I did a year ago (my goal is to lose another 10), but I just feel healthier and so in the longer-term more pounds will hopefully drop off without ever having starved myself!

3 comments:

Adelaide said...

You said that you only weigh a pound or two less than before, but really that may not be too bad. If you are also exercising, it is true that muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue for the same volume. A better measure to see your progress may be to look at numbers like waist size rather than weight.

Anonymous said...

Hi: I miss you when you don't post, you write so well ... it's always a pleasure to read about your 'take on life'.

OK, about your new diet ... I think it's wonderful and you and your girlfriend are to be congratulated. The main thing is that you feel better, and that's the reward.

I started eating a more healthy diet a couple of years ago (mostly vegan ...... I just became bored with meat), cut my coffee down to one cup a day (wake up juice) followed by nothing but water. I walk as fast as I can for 3km every evening after work and I feel great on this regime. I've lost 4kg and have never felt better (well ... OK, the estrogen helps).

Chips, pizza, chocolate, .... I love em, but only once in a very long while.

One day the whole of North America will discover our diet/exercise secret ... and we'll all be better off for it.

Kaye_Martin (skinny in Dubai)

Anonymous said...

Hi!

My name's Rick. I'm the guy who created and maintains CalorieLookup. We've got some more people in the community, and a few new features. Don't know if you've been back to the site in a while, but I'd love to know how your fitness/health/enjoyment of life goals are going.

Stop back in and check out the posts at our clubhouse Bulletin Board

Cheers, Rick