Monday, April 16, 2007

the show must go on

After much controversy and dissension and of course, drama!!!, The Midnight Checkout Queens went on stage and performed gamely after several last-minute personnel changes and prop acquisitions. Our fearless leader Jana bravely stepped into the breach and filled in as the title character during several numbers. And special props out to our newest MCQ members, Sheldon (as the pink-haired band member - and he went the extra mile and actually bleached and permanently dyed his hair and came up with a guitar at the last moment for us!) and Becca (as backstage hand) for all their work. We actually sold out both nights and the audience was the most into the show that I've seen in a while. Jenn reported than one girl even punched her back when she jumped into the crowd and faked hitting them, during the "Angry Inch" number.

Hopefully we'll have another weekend set aside in a few months to perform again. And, believe it or not, I've been roped into possibly being a Hedwig next time! I certainly have my work cut out for me - I'll need to watch the movie like a billion more times and spend many horrifying hours in front of a mirror figuring out Hedwig's moves. Hopefully I'll be up to snuff and be allowed on stage! We'll see.

Regardless of all the bad stuff that occurred last weekend but that will remain undocumented here, I had fun this past weekend as the backstage costumier and briefly as the crowd-surfing drag Yitzhak at the end of "Midnight Radio." Hopefully next show I won't be too wracked with nerves in my new role...

1 comment:

CulinaryAssassin said...

Yay!! Can't wait to see you go on as Miss Hedwig! You'll be faboo luv!!