Thursday, July 26, 2007

gender breakout part 2

Some recent comments on my original gender breakout post that spurred me to some further thoughts on the subject:
Vickie writes: "It seems that we just do not have the terms yet, and there
are endless battles over what to call us. Actually there are battles going on
over all our terms."

Kaye writes: "I seem to gravitate towards the unusual .... as my wife of 35
years so frequently points out .... if it's 'uber niche' then that's where you
are!"
Thanks for your thoughtful comments! I agree - terminology is a tricky subject. One one hand having a set of terms and control over how they are used/understood is essential if we want to have any sort of movement to fight for our civil rights and gain a wider understanding in society. On the other hand terminology in the end can only be constricting - definitions always are because there will always be exceptions or else the definition is too broad to have much meaning.

People in any group will probably never totally agree on just one set of self-defining terms. Just look at the fights over terminology in any profession or academic discipline for an example of this. Certainly I get some sense of self from being "different" (or as I sometimes put it: non-conforming), but I do also feel, like everyone, a desire to be part of a community, ideally one of my own choosing.

In the end perhaps the only thing that matters is that people needn't be restricted by the terminology and labels that others apply to them (nor by the "communities" that such labels place them in) - labels are a quick and dirty but necessary means to an end - which is understanding the world around us.

The big obstacle in my view is that so many in the TG community are in the closet or have a completely understandable and burning desire to fit in or escape persecution and or shame, that they don't get out in society as proud transgendered individuals and let people know that in the end we're just like them - diverse, fallible, human.

2 comments:

Marti said...

I've come to the conclusion that I'm Marti, and that's enough for me. In society, I'm most ID'd as a woman, but I really don't give a shit anymore. I'm happy to be. I'm going to try and stop trying to define what I am, or what I'm not. I just am.

Medically, I'm a transsexual. But I'm not taking that for my middle name or anything.

;)

I guess I'm just tired of not feeling like anything fits. Will I have SRS? Of course, as a matter of maneuvering in society... but anything further, I'm just Marti.

Unknown said...

Marti,

Just am - me likes :-) Very Buddhist perhaps? If I were to get formerly spiritual, Buddhism would be the first place I'd explore. Thanks for the cool perspective and a new ideal state of mind to shoot for!