Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Namoli Brennet and SPW concert reviews

Figured I'd throw in some brief reviews of a couple recent concerts I've seen:
  • Oct.1 at Flavour Cafe in Troy: Namoli Brennet - she is an amazing folk singer-songwriter/guitarist from Arizona. We saw her in this tiny coffee shop with only about 12-15 other people. Her songs are a mix of folk, gospel, alt-country and some rock thrown in on top and her voice is similar (but perhaps a little more gravelly with not quite as much range, which fits her style) to the likes of Feist or Cat Power's Chan Marshall. There is a power there, tempered by a wizened beyond her years and curious soul. She's also TG (she had played at Albany Pride, but we didn't find out until afterwards and we missed her while getting lunch)! Local musician via Arkansas, Jeremy James opened with an enjoyable, although slightly uneven set when he got a little too experimental and forgot some of the lyrics to a couple songs.
  • Sept. 29 at Rebel in NYC: Semi Precious Weapons and The Vibrators: As usual, garage-glam gods SPW rocked the house and brought the crowd to a frenzy with their standard kick-ass stuff (and my fave, "Rock and Roll Never Looked So Beautiful") and stuff from their upcoming album. They only played a short set though since they were the opening band for old punk veterans, the Vibrators. Most of the crowd sadly left immediately after SPW. We stayed for a few songs, but they sounded mostly like distortion (it didn't help that they did not have their usual drummer and were using other people's equipment).

1 comment:

Vickie Davis said...

Namoli was in Nashville Friday, September 21, 2007. I wrote this in my blog later that night when I got home.

I was really impressed by Namoli when she was here in Nashville. She is just so brave. She travels the country in an old station wagon, singing at mostly clubs and coffee houses. She does say she is transgender during the show, but I thought she meant FTM and had not started yet. I could not see her as MTF at all. She totally passed in my mind.

After the show we talked and she said she felt she had flaws and showed me her Adams Apple. I suppose it was a bit big for a girl, but the voice was perfect and that and her overall look, made up for any other little flaws that might have been there. She does not see that she passes completely. I told her "she was there," meaning she looked like a woman to me. I meant it too. I would have loved to stay and chat some more, but Katie wanted to go home. I was driving so I took Katie home and when I returned they were all gone.

When I got home I Googled her and found she had been on GenderTalk September 22, 2003 (4 years ago today,) and they played her music December 1, 2003.

I hope to see her again.

Vickie

PS: You can see her YouTube video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enyXFoX2ZHE

Her website http://www.namolibrennet.com/ plays her music. Do listen to it there. You will be impressed too.