Saturday, January 05, 2008

middle child syndrome

I have to say right up front that while at first I was excited that a woman was running for president, and during Bill's reign, I thought Hilary got a bad rAP. She's smart and confident. However, ever since, as I've watched her policy stances develop into more and more complex slices of pseudo-neocon triangulation, I've come to think she would make a poor president. The same thing happened with Obama as he seems to be the empty vessel candidate - great way of speaking but with little reflection of the realities of politics. Having said all that, I've been a form Kucinich supporter since the beginning, even knowing that he has zero chance of winning anything. If he's still around by NY primary time, I will vote for him nevertheless. I am sick of voting for someone just because they might win.

But that leaves John Edwards, who I've also long been a fan of. His fight against corporate greed and recognition of the huge impact of poverty and the need to battle it on many fronts really resonates with me. So I have been rooting for him. However, for the last couple months I feel he's gotten lost in the celebrity candidate crush. Despite polling levels on a par with Obama and Hilary, his share of media coverage has, in my opinion, been small. And now flash forward to the day after the Iowa caucuses. On NPR (of which I am a huge supporter because they are generally even in their coverage of any topic) there was barely a mention of him. Story after story, politico analysis after analysis discussed Obama and Hilary despite the fact that Edwards finished second, ahead of Hilary! I fear the media's treatment of him as a forgotten middle child will mean he does not stand a chance. It's too bad the media and the handful of rich and mostly conservative owners of those outlets play such a large part in electing our leaders...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do agree with you on the views about Clinton and Obama. While she is a smart person, I tend to think she is making people think about the past and the 90's, in hense her name. Obama to me seems to change week to week, when I heard his victory speach in Iowa, it sounded more like a MLK Jr. speech then him. The Democrat that has talked about the issues I think are important such as education, which none of the canidates seem to want to discuss is Richardson, He has the most experence of all the canidates in that field, but gets the least coverage.

Edwards to me is just a slick lawyer with no message what so ever. He told me all I needed to know about him when asked the question about fuel dependance and his solution was lets have yet another wasted investigation into the oil companies. Well no crap, they are ripping us off, so lets waste time with going after them in yet another senate quarry, ya they have been so succesful in the past. Then the crap of he knows about being a small town so and so, please. Just another in the line of Washington spinsters.

I agree to with the vote for who can win theroy. Insted of voting for who can do the best job, or most qualified, our country wants to be on the winning team.

I think that brings me to this, I voted Republican for most my life, but since I have discovered myself much more in the last years, they have gone to far to the church wackos, they have lost me. I have a hard time bringing myself to vote Democrat since I just dont think they really stand for anything that is not done in a poll. I have always been a fan of the self made person who dosent have to bow down to the lobby and corprate ties. I was a huge Perot supporter because of this. NYC Mayor Bloomberg has these quailites and more that I think would make the best canidate, liberal views on social issues with a conservative view on economic issues. He wouldnt have to bow down to a party line, have the money to force the debates open and give what we need, a true third party choice that we need as a nation.

On a lighter side, I hope you had a great New Years, that your performance of Hedwig went awesome, and continued happiness. While we don't agree in this area often I have fun debating with ya!

Happy New Year and much hugs to you.

April :) from the chilly midwest mitten state