Thursday, January 17, 2008

time for a national trans member org?

My guess is that far smarter people than me have thought and maybe even tried some of this but...

I've been contemplating the idea of a broadly conceived, inclusive, national transgender membership organization lately. It seems to me that perhaps part of the problem with getting our message out there (and separated from the G&L messages) and our causes heard, is that we don't have an umbrella organization that a large percentage of trans people (or at least out trans folk) belong to and participate in.

In my profession as a librarian, there are lots of associations and professional societies, but the biggest and most useful in promoting library causes on the national level is the American Library Association (ALA). While this behemoth organization has more than it's share of shortcomings, it is very effective in lobbying Washington for causes that it's membership directs it to promote.

It seems to me that if such a trans organization were somehow put together from the grassroots, with fair and periodic elections for leadership positions and a bottom-up way of communicating needs and platforms, such an organization could eventually grow to be a force of good for trans causes. Of course, it's mission would have to be broad enough to incorporate the needs of the whole spectrum of gender variant individuals and existing groups, and their partners, families, and allies, but I think it is possible. Perhaps it's initial vision/mission statement might be kept simple and along the lines of the likes of the NAACP or AARP. Here is a simple one off the top of my head (I'm sure there are gaping holes in it, but bear with me - I've also named my made-up organization NGEA - National Gender Expression Association):

NGEA is dedicated to improving the quality of life for people of all gender expressions, and building a society in which all individuals, regardless of gender expression, are afforded equal rights and protections and can be free from hatred and violence.
Given that so many of my trans sisters and brothers are deep in the closet and an even larger percentage are in dire financial situations, would such an organization be impossible to construct? Is there a way to get closeted people involved while maintaining their privacy? Is there a way to realistically fund such an organization? I'm not sure, but perhaps if savvier people than me take up the cause and plan for the longer-term, such a dream might become reality...

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Interesting. My first reaction after 40 years in the T community was that we're too busy crying "But I'm not like them!" Then I read your very inclusive statement and thought maybe it finally is time to let go of "I'm a CD, you're a TS, I'm hetero, you're F2M." I'm going to share your thoughts locally.

Unknown said...

Kay,

Thanks for your thoughts. And yes, it seems at times that our community is dominated by bickering and disputes over labels and differing points of view and perceptions (as many communities are) - to the point where it's hard to see how we might all come together. But the bottom line is that if we don't, we have zero chance of accomplishing anything; zero chance of becoming full and equal citizens of this country, and the world. There will always be differences, but there can be common causes, common goals, as well.

In my humble view, we need to empower and unite the tg grassroots behind well-thought-out and inclusive goals - rather than blindly following the lead of the sometimes egotistical, self-centered, and often self-declared current "leaders" of our community. Not to say there aren't lots of smart, selfless people out there in the trenches everyday fighting for just such goals. But so far at least - few (if any) have been able to transcend local or subgroup reach. As with all of us, life and the needs of surviving each day often get in the way.

ps: awesome that you're a librarian as well - thanks for speaking up!