Saturday, May 17, 2008

Namoli Brennet / Liz Stahler Concert Review

I am definitely not a good review writer, so bear with me. This Progressions Concert Series show took place tonight at 8 at the CDGLCC home base, about 2 blocks from us just off Lark St. in Albany. We arrived about 7:45 and were the first there (we are such geeks!). But anyways, only about 25 people showed up - these awesome musicians deserve bigger crowds!

Liz Stahler took the stage first and launched into an excellent set of softly plucked folk songs about bad relationships and true love. She tells good stories, both in her songs and with between-song banter in a plain-spoken, upfront manner. I bought her CD and am psyched to listen to it.

Humble folk guitar goddess Namoli Brennet played second and did not disappoint (we saw her play months ago in Troy and I bought all 3 of her most recent CDs then). Evocative, thoughtful lyrics with a powerful voice compliment her soulful, perfectly played, driving guitar structures. They always make me want to simultaneously go on a trek through some beautiful desert on a quest for inner peace, and pick up my guitar and start playing again. I so hope she breaks into the big time - she is such a talent and deserves it!

No comments: