Monday, July 25, 2005

Living it up

Haven't been posting much lately primarily because I've been doing my best to get out there in the wide world and live life and have some fun in the sun. Spent the last couple weekends up at the lake working on my tan - it's looking deep now...:-)

Couple events/milestones worth mentioning (or not):

  1. Met up with my old softball squad at the usual thursday night after-game meeting place; a small-town drinking hole named "Good Times." And when I say old squad, I don't just mean I no longer play for them - these guys are all old geezers (but very cool, very fun ones) - besides my friend Drew who has me by only a few months in our early 30's, the rest of the team are all in their 50's and above! They knew about my transition, but hadn't seen me yet. So I headed over and met up with them. They bought me drinks, hugged me and were generally super-nice. That felt really, really good! They even tried to get me to play again - evidently my replacement in right-center isn't quite as good a fielder as me...heehee
  2. My parents, now that they're primarily seeing me as a woman, are coming around with the use of my proper name, pronouns, etc. It will still take time - longer than I would wish for, I know, but they're getting there. But my mom and I got in a little fight yesterday on the beach when she started commenting on the way I dress. She said I didn't dress appropriately for my age - to which I replied: "So fucking what?" So I like short skirts and like to wear a bikini at the beach! No one cares.
  3. Anyways, my aunt and uncle and their three kids are coming up in a couple weeks and she was worried that my dressing style might put them off a little since they only have known me as a boy. I know she loves me and could see her point to a degree, but we just disagree on this in principle. I took it (albeit I was a bit moody that afternoon) as an affront to my whole being and sense of style (and in effect telling me how I should or should not express myself) that she would criticize me like that. Now feeling self-conscious for no real reason, and after promising I would tone things down when my relatives arrived, I left in a bit of a snit and cried for a while in the car ride home. I know - such a minor thing to get upset about - but at the time (I've gotten over it) I took it hard because it was the first time my mom had openly criticized me like that.

I will keep trying to put stuff in here, but entries may be a little lighter than usual for the next month or so - lots of things happening! So get out there and enjoy nature and all her sublime diversity!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Honestly --I envy everyone that lays thier eyes on you --lake people --softball people --library people --neighbors --cats -dogs --birds ---if I were a bird -my favorite perch would be right outside your window ---you say you're 34 --you come across much younger to me --you're really very pretty Dana ----I can't believe that letter you wrote for your co-workers ---after seeing several of your pics and reading your ever continuing story --there is no doubt you're now on the right path