Tuesday, April 22, 2008

call out to all trans librarians and library employees

I've felt for a while now that having some sort of community of interest around being trans and working in a library environment could be a great thing. Lately hearing from a couple others has spurred me to take more direct action.

Any other trans librarians and library workers out there interested in such an endeavor? If so, let me know via this blog or e-mail (danahlongley at yahoo or on Facebook). Of course, very few people read this blog, so how can we reach a broader audience?

Perhaps even someday get our own roundtable at ALA (although I'm not a member at present). I know there's a GLBT roundtable at ALA already, but as usual, my guess is that we who fall into the T part get the usual shaft of being lowest on that totem pole and so our interests take a back back seat to the G and L folks.

I have no idea how many of us there are out there, but if we got enough interest, perhaps it could start simple with a Ning and or Facebook community group, or something? Perhaps such a thing already exists? I am, I must admit, a bit of a hermit and whole movements often escape my notice... :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is a transgender library workers and friends group on facebook.
Jeri Morgan, a NYPL para