Friday, February 25, 2005

physical side of femininity

It's become abundantly clear to me in the last few days, as I futilely attempt to inject some feminine sensuality and fluidity of movement into my upcoming debut drag contest lip-synch routine, that I have a steep hill to climb. I know I can look damn good (and am proud of that fact). However acting, moving and talking like a woman is a whole different ballgame. It is not easy to block out 30 years of instinctual reactions and impulses. Men just don't normally move smoothly (unless you're a dancer or other kind of performance artist, which I am decidedly not). Men tend to move in violent jerks and starts, almost as if they never got over all the gawkiness of teen growth spurts and acne-induced shyness.

Having said all that, I have seen some slight improvements in this arena. Simply getting out in public and especially out on the dance floor and letting loose, not caring how I look has helped, as has some useful pointers and constructive criticism from friends. My voice still remains a major obstacle, but I have purchased an insturctional CD that seems well designed and will go forward with that as time allows.

On other physical fronts:
-breasts: there are definately noticeable little female nubs there now! Another couple months and I'll be ready for a training bra! Growth here has been better than I expected. They are far more sensitive to touching and kneading as well, which is cool...
-skin: mine has become softer and more sensative. It helps that I take fairly good care of it as well - moisturizing twice a day and using gentle ex-foliant showel gel instead of soapy stuff.
-hair: hair growth seems to have slowed slightly, especially in areas that I shave but that didn't have a lot of growth to begin with. And some of the hairs seem to be getting a bit lighter as well. My scalp hair even seems to be a little fuller, but I can't be certain that's attributable to the hormones or just better haircare. I still need to start laser or electrolysis - that will be very soon and I can't wait until I no longer have to shave my face!!!
-scalp line: I did have some very very slow receding going on and its still too early to tell if that has stopped. It's also probably too late for me to ever have a completely natural looking feminine hair line in front, but we'll see. Besides, wearing wigs and being able to switch styles and colors at the drop of a hat is super-fun!
-waist: regular, targeted exercise has done most of the work here I think, although I seem to notice a very slight redistribution of mass from there to my hips and buttocks. Again, can't be sure.
-height: I'm sure this isn't due to hormones or any other physical change, but many moons ago I wanted to be taller and more masculine and so I just started telling myself and others I was. But I am now officially 5'8" tall instead! I was a bit shocked when the physician's assistant told me that, but of course, shorter is usually better if you want to pass as female, so that news was certainly not unwelcome.
-facial structure: I have a hard time judging this, and the fact that I've lost about 10-15 pounds over the last year has had an effect. Still, a couple of my friends have noted that my face (especially if compared to pics of me from past years in boy mode) has softened some. I am still a bit skeptical at this point though...

So all in all, things on the outward side are proceeding at a good pace and keeping up with my mental progress! Still many, many things I want to change or improve, like removing those annoying bottom ribs, getting a very slight fill-out of my lips, perhaps having my adam's apple shaved down, and of course getting breast augmentation...wanna help fund this massive resurfacing project?....


1 comment:

Adelaide said...

On the electrolysis... make sure you find a good electrologist. Although I still haven't decided if and to what extent to transition I have started electrolysis with an excellent electrologist. I've done only 2 hours of it and it does hurt but is bearable especially with the noticible progress you can see after only one hour session. If you get a bad electrologist, however, you could end up going back for many hours with little to no progress.