Thursday, May 19, 2005

more about ME!

I know, a vanity whore 'till the end...hahaha!

I have shared my recent life changes with a few more distantly located friends and family now and it never ceases to amaze me how awesome these people are, how important they are to me, even if I only see them on rare occasions. I recently revealed my new self to my oldest childhood friend and another friend from my post-college days in Pittsburgh via e-mail letters and they both e-mailed back and phoned me soon after to give me their support and love! The same thing happened with my aunt and uncle in DC (my mom told them face-to-face when she was down there recently).

I can't describe how wonderful it feels to finally not have any dark secrets between me and those I care about!

I have also made the decision to tell my last remaining grandmother. I had been putting this off for the simple reason that in her aging isolation she tends to unduly worry about and dwell on things. But I see her weekly and love her dearly and just don't want to have to keep my true self from anyone, regardless of the reaction I get. Besides, I plan to go full-time in 6 months and by then won't be able to hide it! I still think my grandmother may come to accept this in time. She is a smart, tough old broad with a mind of her own. She watches tv and so I'm sure at least knows and has seen the boob tube's stereotypical caricature of transsexuals. It will probably be a shock to her though as I know she loves me dearly and if anything I said or did resulted in harming her or causing her grief I would be very sad.

Anyways, first I have to spill all the beans to my brother when he comes to visit next month. He and his wife know I have been crossdressing for a while now but I have not yet had the chance to share my transition plans with them. I'm sure he will be remorseful about losing his brother, in his own quiet, tight-lipped way, but I know he will support me in the end. My plan, more for my own pleasure in seeing his face since he has not yet seen me dressed, is to pick him up at the airport in femme mode. Hopefully that will also express to him how serious I am about this decision. Wish me luck...

Finally, I also just met with the "diversity officer" at my college and spilled the beans to her about my plans. She was totally supportive and is going to work with me to make this as smooth a work issue as possible. That made me feel very happy!

Peace and harmony!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dana, Good luck as you make your family and friends aware of your transition. You are definitely beautiful now, so you will be stunning after the transition. You are living a life about which I can only dream and wish you the best of all possible worlds.

Anonymous said...

Dark secret? What's so dark about it? :p Hope your grandmother and brother give you the same support that has already been built for you.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the thoughtful comments! Just for the record, obviously I no longer feel like my femme self is a "dark secret" but I certainly did when I was in the closet. In my opinion, any secret kept from a loved one, where there should be no major secrets, is "dark" in the fact that somehow you don't feel you can trust that loved one with it.