Tuesday, September 27, 2005

satellite blues

Some quick advice: never, ever invest in a satellite internet connection, even if like me, you're only other option is dial-up. It's way overpriced ($60/month!!!) for what it provides. The download speeds are about half the speed of cable or DSL and the upload speeds are barely on par with dial-up. In addition, every time it rains or snows or sometimes, even if it's just cloudy, the damn connection doesn't work. On top of that you have to commit to it for a minimum 12-15 month time period if you want to avoid a wildly exorbitant termination fee.

In a word: fuck satellite! Can you tell I haven't had a connection in 3 days now and have spent almost 2 hours with very polite and professional technical support personnel in India the past couple days, just so they could finally tell me I had to wait an additional 3-4 days for a service technician company to contact me to look at the dish in person....?

Ahhhhh.....doesn't technology make life soooooo much easier....

As a result of this and my upcoming trip to Denver to visit my newly born niece, postings may be light for a little while.

Truth and tranquility to all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know when you will get this, but make sure the idiots gave you the right version software to download on your computer. I am at a computer now that has satilitte to and they never gave us the right version to upgrade so the internet would work, otherwise I do agree too, not worth the $$$ payed. Have a safe trip to Denver.

April

Anonymous said...

Maybe you have to move the dish 1/2 inch to the left ;-)
KellyJ

Anonymous said...

Hey Dana- sorry to hear about the satint problems...do you have the direcway DW6000? If so, I am about to dazzle you with what a geek I am (not really, but I had the same exact problem and after a quick adjustment, now mine downloads at a blazing 850m).

Drop a note and I will send you the settings.

How have you been, otherwise? I have been thru some adventures...I will share later.

Drew